Last Sunday the theme for our church service was “Nurturing Gospel Values” and we had our Bible lessons read out. As the gospel reading was being read out, Bible as alive it can be, the verses started talking to me. Well in conversation with the verses in Mark 11:12-14, I found a special message which made my Sunday even brighter.
12. The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry.
13. Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs.
14. Then he said to the tree, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.” And his disciples heard him say it
With thoughts flying across my mind, one definitely was – if it is not the season for figs, is it right to expect fruit out of season?? Can I get angry looking at a mango tree in December and curse the tree because I don’t have mangoes for Chritsmas ??
Well I don’t think so but then that’s exactly what Jesus did. He was hungry and he wanted to fill himself with some fig trees when it was not the season for figs! Was Jesus wrong?
A little more I thought about expecting fruit during off-season, I knew the message God wanted me to know. Christian living like in one of my previous post is walking up and not down the stairs is about having fruits in and out of season and not only during season.
A little more light on this topic gave me immense joy, a sense of satisfaction filled my heart as the Holy spirit kept pouring truths from the Bible in my heart!
Jesus in all his teachings subtly puts across his off season attitude – Like asking us to love our enemies while we love all our neighbors, When the wine is all over, he gives the best wine towards the end, He washes the feet of his disciples when he could have easily expected them to wash his feet and the list can go endless
Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters in Christ. We are called to bear fruit of the Holy Spirit which is a combination of Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Gentleness, Faithfulness, Goodness and Self Control but the question is WHEN?
- Have Joy and peace when everything is going alright or when everything is in a mess???
- Witness Christ only from the pulpit or anytime anywhere ??
- Share love and gentleness to only people we love or everyone across?
- Be self controlled when things are in control or in the peak of our anger?
Think about it?? How many times, we are just bearing fruits in season, but be AWARE of the fact that Jesus is looking for fruits during the most unexpected and off season times and that’s the real test for our Christian Lives!!