Syria is the topic going rounds across all groups, be it politicians, religious groups or even common people like me! The more I read about Syria in the news, its history and its recent developments I believe it is all part of Gods plan. I do not completely understand, and I do not have sufficient knowledge to make my comments. But I strongly believe everything is God’s plan and all events will culminate to the last judgement day where each one of us carrying our credits will stand before the lamb who will judge us!!
Isaiah one of the major prophets of the Bible quotes in Isaiah 17:1 which says –
“Behold, Damascus will cease from being a city,
And it will be a ruinous heap.
When I look at the picture above and read the verse, its easy for me to say this is a prophecy that has come to pass.. But over the last few months reading and over reading a lot about the history and the context of the passage Isaiah 17 gives a different look all together.
Well here is a little bit of history and the current scenarios presented to you for better understanding of the current situation –
- Archaeologists have demonstrated that Syria was the center of one of the most ancient civilizations on earth
- Syria was occupied successively by Canaanites, Phoenicians, Hebrews, Arameans, Assyrians, Babylonians, Persians, Greeks, Romans, Nabataeans, Byzantines, and, in part, Crusaders before finally coming under the control of the Ottoman Turks. Syria is significant in the history of Christianity; Paul was converted on the road to Damascus and established the first organized Christian Church at Antioch in ancient Syria, from which he left on many of his missionary journeys
- Damascus came under Muslim rule in A.D. 636 and became the capital of the Omayyad Empire, which extended from Spain to India from A.D. 661 to A.D. 750, when the Abbasid caliphate was established at Baghdad, Iraq
- Damascus became a provincial capital of the Mameluke Empire around 1260. It was largely destroyed in 1400 by Tamerlane, the Mongol conqueror, then rebuilt it and it fell under Ottoman rule. The Ottomans remained for the next 400 years, except for a brief occupation by Ibrahim Pasha of Egypt from 1832 to 1840
- In 1920, King Faysal of the Hashemite family established the Arab Kingdom of Syria, but in a few months was defeated by the french forces at the battle of Maysalun and then later became the King of Iraq
- French rule ended with the fall of France in 1940 and Syria became independent in 1946. Following which there was a lot of political upheavals, a parrallels between Egypt and Syria which also led to a union of both the countries but was a failure
- Syria, Egypt and Iraq had unity and but the tripartite federation failed to materialize due to some serious disagreements. The Syrian forces and the civilian were split from then on. On November 13, 1970, Minister of Defense Hafiz al-Asad affected a bloodless military coup, ousting the civilian party leadership and assuming the role of prime minister
- Hafiz al-Asad reigned for 30 long years from 1970-2000, and succeeded by his son Bashar al-Asad who is currently fighting the battle. Basically a battle between the fundamentalist (Sunni muslims) i.e the civilians and the military army
In the current scenario, the Bashar al-Asad the shia is supported by Iraq and the civilians supported by the US. The current civilian war to overthrow Al-Asad has brought into picture various international entities..
US is contemplating to attack Syria and destroy its warfare, but the current situation is that already 100,000 people have been killed, and many have fled from the country. Well, I’m not very sure if this the prophecy that Isaiah was given centuries back as recorded in Isaiah 17.
- “The Arab Spring” which is basically a collection of wars, nation against nation!
- Increasing crimes and brutality rising across the globe
- Increasing discovery of Shale oil and gas residing underneath the most geopolitical hazardous nations
- International entities like Russia and US getting involved in global politics
- Depleting natural resources leading to climate change posing natural disasters
All of this clearly paint a picture of a near future with events like Armageddon/Rule of Anti Christ / Second coming of Christ
Well, with my shallow knowledge I can not make judgements but I believe the last days are getting closer.. In Shakespeare language the stage is having its curtains fall for the climax!!!
May be in my lifetime or not , but somewhere in the future. But the question is are we ready for the JUDGEMENT DAY??? If today we die will we be part of Heaven so bright or the Hell so dark??? Think about it, if led by the Holy Spirit seek and receive the most precious gift – SALVATION through JESUS CHRIST!!!